“In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ Acts 20:35
It’s that time of year again when the weather begins to warm and we begin to clean out our closets. After a year indoors, some of us may have accumulated more clutter than ever before. However, many of our neighbors have less than ever before. The annual Spring Cleaning is a great time to re-assess what we have and help provide for those without.
“Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.” 2 Corinthians 9:6
What Should I Get Rid Of?
- Unused gifts
- The extra blankets or quirky toaster you never got around to using can be let go after a year or more of gathering dust.
- Old technology, wires, and gadgets
- A few spare cords and charging cables are nice to have around, but too much outdated technology takes up storage space.
- Clothes the family has outgrown
- Kids outgrow their clothes quickly, leaving many gently-used items to pile up through the years.
- The world is quickly becoming digital. Hearts Thrift Shop gives away books for free in our store to promote reading.
Donating is a fantastic way to kill two birds with one stone. As you clean, create piles for recycling, trash, and donations. Despite their condition, all items are accepted if they are clean. These donations go directly to our ministry center where proceeds are used to feed the poor and homeless, and to maintain and expand our ministry.
“Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” – Hebrews 13:16
Tips for Donating
- Enjoy contactless donating by finding a donation bin near you
- Drop off directly at the Thrift Shop at 890 Tonawanda Street
- Donate your clothes in bags rather than individually
- Make sure items are clean, dry, and odorless
“Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7
Things to Donate – Our Most Needed Items
- Stuffed Animals
- Wedding dresses
- Hard toys
- Seasonal decorations
- Small household decorations
- Kitchen utensils
- Dishes/pots and pans
For a full list of things you can donate to Hearts, view the list of acceptable materials.
“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” – Luke 6:38
When you donate to Hearts, you can receive a receipt to apply to your taxes and reduce your taxable income for the year. When you donate to one of the 200+ bins around Western New York, you can receive a donation receipt online.
“Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.” – Proverbs 19:17
“A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” Proverbs 11:25