Here at Hearts For The Homeless, so much of what we are able to do for our community is centered around our beloved Thrift Shop. Located on Tonawanda Street in Buffalo, Hearts Thrift Shop is located in an impoverished area where residents are less likely to have access to transportation or the funds to shop in suburban malls. When shoppers walk through the front doors, they are welcomed into a relaxing environment and can shop for quality clothing, accessories, shoes, and household items at affordable prices.
Not only is Hearts Thrift shop an affordable and reliable place to purchase clothing and other necessities, all proceeds from Hearts Thrift Shop after expenses support the operation of our Mobile Soup Kitchen and our Hearts Harvest Pantry and Cafe.
To ensure that our community is able to shop safely during the COVID-19 pandemic, Hearts Thrift Shop has taken a variety of precautions, including:
- Enforcing the wearing of a face mask to enter and/or shop in the thrift store.
- If you do not have a face mask, we have them available for free upon entry.
- Shoppers are asked to respect social distancing guidelines and will be reminded to be socially distant if they are spotted not distancing themselves from others.
- Hand sanitizer is placed at the counter for all to use. All are encouraged to use it.
- All shopping counters, door knobs, and shopping carts are wiped down each morning, and throughout the day.
- At the cash register you will notice the following changes:
- A plexiglass shield was installed at various contact points at the cashier / check-out to protect both staff and shoppers.
- Blue tape marking six feet social distance was placed on the floor near the cashier area.
- Fitting rooms are cleaned after every use.
- Sorting Department changes:
- Hand sanitizer was placed in the clothing sorting department.
- The counter in the sorting area is wiped down prior to sorting the clothing.
It is also important to note that reopening in the midst of new safety guidelines reminds us of the reason why we exist: to minister to the people that come through our doors. We were surprised when the first person to visit our thrift shop after we reopened was a woman who became homeless due to the COVID-19 pandemic. She was staying at the homeless shelter at ECC Flickinger Center, the very place Hearts dropped off provisions of food and clothing. After telling us her story, and praying together, the woman left Hearts Thrift Shop with a small purchase she made, giving her a sense of dignity. She also received a free box of produce.
If you are interested in supporting or shopping at Hearts Thrift Shop, stop by and visit us at 890 Tonawanda Street in Buffalo, NY. You can also donate your gently used clothing, accessories, linens, and small household items 24/7, 365 days a year at one of our 400+ donation bins. Find a donation bin and a list of acceptable donations, here. Hearts for the Homeless also accepts donations online, through your employer, or by mail.